Like many of you, I think about what I will do on my “bucket list.” How I would spend more time with those who I care about most, the projects I would tackle, etc. What a bunch of crap. Why are we saving our lives for our death? Shift your mindset. I started looking at how I could create a life list, not a bucket one. I will share my list at the end of this post, but first, let me talk about why we should shift our mindset to live in the present. So many times, grief, stress, negative
Often a life-changing event indeed causes us to change our lives, duh! Certainly, a loss of a job, the death of a loved one, a breakup, health issues, and all the other “biggies” come to mind when we talk about life-changing events. Let me drop some knowledge on you; we do not have to wait for a life-changing event to change our lives. Our inner critic tells us that we are not smart enough, pretty enough to be successful, or we should not enjoy life until the “golden years.” What if your golden years never come? What are you waiting for?
Again, this is rubbish; I am not advocating anyone quit their job to backpack across Europe. So you can start to make your life list right now. So what will you do today to step towards your life list?
How many items can be on your list; as many as you want. Mine will keep evolving, as will the accomplishments. The only two rules for me are (1) make a life list; (2) start to cross things off your list. We are NOT meant to stay safely tucked in our comfort zone.
MY LIFE LIST
1. Run a marathon or 1/2 marathon in all 50 states. I currently have knocked out SD and NE twice. I need to broaden my locations!
2. Continue to work on getting a medical facility fully funded for people with ASD. That way, no family goes without care because of an inability to pay.
3. Take my wife on vacation anywhere she wants to go.
4. See my kids continue to grow and contribute to the world.
5. Hike the Rockies.
6. Hike the Grand Canyon.
7. Do a standup comedy set.
8. Learn to play the guitar.
9. Take an Alaskan cruise – I hate to be surrounded by that much water for that long, but I have always wanted to see Alaska this way.
10. Laugh – This is always on my life list.
11. Take a road trip on Route 66